Monday, January 18, 2016

Twelve Hours of Fallout 4...hopefully better than Dark Knight Rises

It is now Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and the day started around 1:30 am, which was when my wife called needing a DD.

In 2015, my wife earned her CDL and began driving school bus in our district.  At the start of the 15/16 school year, she had her own route, which she curses every single day.  Anyways, her and her friends decided to have a girls night gambling and drinking seeing as they did not need to get up for work the next day.

When the call came, I grabbed my coat and went out as I was dressed (wind pants, house shoes w/o socks and a t-shirt).  I arrived at the house and was told to come in, which I was less than thrilled about.  Being just barely awake and having to deal with a bunch of drunk women.  My mission was to grab one of their drunk friends and take her home.  I walked her out to the car and went back inside to retrieve my wife.

When we came outside, the passenger door was open and the friend (who it was my first time meeting) was throwing up all over the driveway.  My wife helped me get her situated and we pulled off.  We made it three houses before I had to pull over for the friend to throw up again.  We finally got the friend home and in bed, then we got home.  I was now up and ready to go, so bed was out of the question.

My Sunday night gaming was cut short because the of daddy/daughter movie time, and then the PS4 glitching out and restarting (losing all of my Greygarden mission progress).  So around 2:30 am, I jumped into it and planned on knocking out the remaining 90 minutes and then sleeping in. 

I re-finished Greygarden, then I discovered Taffington Boathouse, and roamed the Glowing Sea.  The exploding combat shotgun, now named Boomstick, gave me a ridiculous advantage.  The only drawback was how quickly I shot through ammo.  That was easily solved by the 12k plus caps I had collected.

I decided to turn the difficulty up to hard and it seemed to nerf my shotgun success, enough that I felt it fair.  I remembered finding a cool settlement, Covenant, during my Alden Gere playtime, so I head there and began the quest.  I screwed up and hacked a computer in broad daylight, which brought the entire settlement (including half a dozen turrets) raining down on me.  Luckily, I was able to use the cover mechanic to kill 10-12 residents.

After that I finished the Covenant side quest and sold off my loot.  I then returned to start setting up the settlement.  I was now about 30 minutes past my 12 hours and getting tired, the time being 4:30.  I decided to head off to bed.

I awoke a few hours later and decided, before my family woke up, to fix Covenant.  First things first, trying to clean up the bodies.  Dating back to Skyrim, if I make a mess in an area where I spend time, I clean it up. I spent the next ten minutes dragging bodies to the door, knowing I would have to open the door for each body.  The pile was massive and I was rethinking my plan.  Then I happened upon genius.

While liberating a water treatment plant, I had shot at water with my Boomstick and noticed the awesome explosions, so I decided to see what would happen if I targeted the bodies.  Let me write that it definitely gives a new definition to the term streetsweeper.

I was able to open the door and blast all the bodies (and subsequent parts) across the road, down to the lakeside, where for good measure (and a proper Nordic funeral) I tossed a molotov on the mass.

I went back inside Covenant and detailed the areas that needed it.  I was able to scrap enough stuff to build a radio tower and generator so I did not have to move any settlers.

My 12 hours up (plus an hour) I looked back with some regret.  I did not accomplish anything monumental, the play not much different than my normal morning routine.  The coolest thing that happened, I wish I would've recorded because it was hilarious at the time.

The only thing I can pull from this weekend of Fallout 4, is something my wife said to me today, when I was washing down the door panel of my car (and blerdwords, unfortunately the Burger King coupons)

"Shane, you have cleaned up more puke than anyone I know, and none of it yours.  I love you"


No comments:

Post a Comment