Saturday, January 23, 2016

Answering @BlerdWords Marvel Offense...

I challenged Blerdwords (blerdwords.blogspot.com) to a Fantastical Fantasy Football Challenge.  He decided run this offense:


Your basic I-formation offense, which screams "3 yards and a cloud of dust".  Here are the Marvel characters he chose to field, at their respective positions:

QB - Captain America
RB - Spiderman
FB - Juggernaut
WR1 - Quicksilver
WR2 - Northstar
TE - Ms. Marvel 
LT - Iron Man
LG - She Hulk
C  - Thing
RG - Doc Samson
RT - War Marchine

Right off the jump, I am thinking the right side of his offensive line is a weak spot for his team.  Also by Blerd fielding only two wide receivers, I do not need to worry about nickel and dime packages.  My decision falls on which do I feel I can get better pressure with, the 4-3 or a 3-4 base defense.  Even though Ferg is looking like a run first game plan, I decide to run the 3-4 which has a bunch of versatility.  I think that my players abilities will allow me to get to the QB when necessary and stuff Parker's feeble rushing attempts.



DE - The man opposing the LT/LG is no man at all, but a weapon.  One created by Odin to fight Gods. The Destroyer.  Destroyer would be marked as a Herald of Galactus.  That is reason numero uno that he will by on this defensive line.  If he is good enough for Galactus, who I am to complain. 

NT - So which Herald will Loose choose for Nose Tackle?  This position is of the utmost importance in the 3-4, as the NT needs to be strong enough to make sure they are not pushed back into the linebackers. Terrax and his rock-like skin coupled with his immense strength, power, and violence make him my NT.

DE - The last of the Heralds of Boom is Morg,  who possesses the power of an entire destroyed world.  With cosmic power levels, it almost seems unfair.  Actually, it probably is.  Perhaps we will need to set some ground rules for a future iteration.

Cat - Meow?  No, the Cat Linebacker in a 3-4 is the Weak Side Outside Linebacker.  That player lines up on the left tackle side and is responsible for zone coverage and man coverage in the flats.  Ares will more often than not be responsible for covering the fullback and as the God of War, I think he is more than qualified.

Will - Also know as the Weak Inside Linebacker, Carnage was such an adversary for Spiderman, that Parker had to team up with Venom.  When I decided to build my defense, I wanted VIOLENCE.  I wanted bad guys that just wanted to tear the world up.  Cletus Cassidy certainly fits the bill.

Mike - This is the position that adjusts the defense, responds to audibles and checks down.  This position requires intelligence, power, speed, and a desire to hurt something.  Thanos, perhaps specifically wearing a certain glove, more than meets the Ray Lewis mold.

Dog - The Dog, or Sam, or Strong side linebacker, will routinely cover the TE and when the safety gains coverage, he will bare his teeth and hunt the QB.  In Marvel's universe, besides Thor, there is only one guy that looks like a Clay Matthews type.  That man is Sentry.  Though he might not be as overtly violent as everyone else listed before him, his issues with Void, and his deeds under Osborne alleviate an concern.

CB1 - Now I get away from violence and go instead for obscure speed.  Blerwords took the fastest guys I know of in Marvel, so I had to dig deep.  I wanted to be abstract and play Rogue at corner, to sap that speed, but I rationalized she would get blown past before being able to press Quicksilver.  Instead I found the Barry Allen knockoff, Buried Alien.  This dude was an amnesiac sprinter.  My CB2 actually found him, entered him in a race, and held up Barry Alien's arm in victory.

CB2 - That dude, that crowned Buried Allen was none other than Runner.  You don't know who Runner is, what kind of fan are you?  The same one I am.  I had to sift through way too many websites before I was able to be okay with this choice.

SS - This position was originally going to be Wolverine.  With violence to spare I though Wolverine was the best pick.  Then I realized I wanted somebody with some football experience.  Then I thought that my Free Safety was actually stronger than my SS choice.  So instead I chose Silver Surfer to be my SS.  He gives me the speed and amazing reaction time needed for coverage.  He also gives me the strength to blast a running back or de-possess a receiver of the ball.  The switch fits Surfer better than free safety

FS - My football player is Flash Thompson (Venom).  I love this version of Venom, especially with the Thunderbolts team-up with him, Deadpool, Punisher, Elektra, and Red Hulk. It  brought me back to the black/grey X-Force.  Killers, plain and simple.

I'd love to know how you think my defense matches up against Blerds offense.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you did... I think you would totally shut my offense down... I'll get you next time...

    ReplyDelete