Saturday, January 23, 2016

Pitchers and Catchers report in T-Minus 26 days....

The Detroit Tigers pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland, Florida on February 18th this year.  A week or so later, the rest of the Tigers arrive.  Spring Training is an optimistic time for baseball fans and players alike.

For fans, it is a time when almost every fan-base feels optimism, even Marlins and Rockies fans think they might be a wild-card contender.  Normally we can joke that any team could make the World Series, except for the Cubs.  Well the hiring of Joe Maddon and the promotions of Bryant, Rizzo, and others proved that is no longer the case.

Players can prove their worth and try to make the big leagues.  Others look to bounce back from down years, or ready their bodies after an injury shortened season.  Teams that finished last in their division last year, like the Tigers and Red Sox, both teams with top 10 payrolls (hell the Tigers spent $200 million a couple weeks ago), look to bounce back from seasons that were way under expectation.

I love baseball.  I have since I was a young buck, thanks to my older brother, Major League the movie, fantasy/board/video games, the Indians, and the Tigers.  I played baseball from t-ball age to college age.  Since "growing up" I have become a MHSAA baseball official and also began coaching the softball/baseball team at the school I teach at. Though I hate hot summer days and my tolerance for math is only because there are apps for it, I love baseball games and the stats that go along with them.

My dad, brother, and uncle got me into Strat-O-Matic baseball (which I am trying to get my students into), I also got to grow up with Earl Weaver baseball on the PC, Triple Play baseball on the Playstation, MLB 2k on the Xbox and now The Show on the PS4.  Before fantasy football became the giant in the room, it was Auction Rotisserie drafts for fantasy baseball.

Baseball is going to a minor league ball game and eating weird food.  Living in Flushing, Michigan I am lucky to be within an hour from the Lansing Lugnuts and the Great Lakes Loons.  Both of which sport amazing food options, great little stadiums, and inexpensive tickets.  They might not even be the best in state either. The West Michigan Whitecaps (Tigers' A ball team) has been featured on numerous lists for their food, including a 2013 USA Today article (http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/06/01/12-outrageous-foods-at-minor-league-ballparks/2376915/)

So far the theme of my blog has been dedicated to my nerd side, but with the start of baseball approaching, get ready for some high heat (that was another great video game, featuring the amazing Vlad Guerrero on the cover).

My next baseball article will be about my favorite players of all time.  Who are yours?  Why?



No comments:

Post a Comment