Monday, January 18, 2016

Twelve hours of Fallout 4, part two...

When I put my PS4 on rest mode around 10:20 on Saturday morning, I did not expect to get back to playing until Sunday morning, thanks to the first two games of the NFL Divisional Playoffs.

After a bad fantasy football experience, I found myself sitting through NFL games a lot less.  Don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard Detroit Lions fan, I'll have to post a picture of my Lions themed classroom, but if they are not on TV (which it's the playoffs, you know damn well they're not), I watch but distractedly.

So instead of waiting until Sunday morning, I found myself using the DVR and pausing the game while my wife was doing some housework and cooking.  My dumb ass waited until she was about 5 minutes from serving dinner, before I started (which she made sure she remarked upon), so I almost shouldn't even count that 3 minute spurt.  Matter of fact, the only reason I am counting it, is because while walking to Hangman's Alley, I killed a legendary raider that carried an exploding combat shotgun.

With an amazing Chicken Fettucini Alfredo served and the Pats/Chiefs game getting better I decided to shut the system down and wait till Sunday.  I am glad I made that choice, because the Packers/Cardinals game was fantastic, with an amazing catch and weird OT coin-flip tom foolery.

Sunday came and I was up again, around 5:00 in the morning.  I turned on the Keurig, grabbed some leftover alfredo and started Fallout.  I forgot to mention that my John Matherson character, at the outset of this 12 hour play-thru was at level 17, about 1/5 of the way from 18.  I had been holding about 10 levels worth of perks (I wanted inspirational and local leader before I left Sanctuary, and then I would figure this character out as I went).

So now that I had a beast mode (Marshawn Lynch, who was cleared to play that afternoon against Carolina) shotgun I figured it was the best time to commit some perks.  I had spent points on lockpick, so I did not miss out during my travels.  I then put points into everything settlement and crafting related (armorer, blacksmith, science, etc.).  After spending those 10 or so points, I was ready to head out.  My goal was four hours that morning, knowing my wife was going out with friends and I would be able to get some gaming in that night.

I played for four hours and moved along in the main quests and started finding some of the elusive bobbleheads and magazines I so desperately needed.  I always buy the strategy guide when I buy a game, but for bathroom reading more often than not.  After I have been to an area, I might go to the digital version to make sure I did not miss anything.  That pretty much sums up the 4 morning hours.

Thanks to the Panthers crushing the Seahawks in the first half, I got in another half hour or so.  Then my wife left and I figured I was good for at least 3 hours of play. Then my teenage daughter finally wanted to hang out with her dad.

Those with teenage kids understand me.  You take what time you can get with them and drop any other plans.  That time spent was making simple dinner, mac & cheese (I CANNOT cook and am a threat to house and home) and then we watched 17 Again, a better than expected movie with Zach Effron.  It was 8:00 when the movie was over and my kid then retired to her room to text and watch Netflix, so I decided upon two hours of Fallout.

I was trying to earn the Greygarden settlement's trust, so I was undertaking their mission.  First run thru, I came to the water treatment plant, encountered the opposition, then watched as Brotherhood of Steel soldiers engaged in a gunfight with some Gunners.  I helped clear the last Gunner, a legendary with useless bug armor and watched the Vertibird take off.

A rotor caught fire as it took off and I was eager to see it crash, so I shot at it.  What I did not realize, was the power armored BoS and his scribes were still "boots on the ground" and lit me up.

I restarted the mission, this time, taking care to not F*** with the Brotherhood.  I started moving through the flooded area and stepped on a bathroom scale.  Too which I yelped when my dude was blown all to hell. Attempt three and I fixed my first and second mistake, then mowed down the mirelurks, cleaning the water for the settlement.  I got back to Greygarden and was just getting ready to talk with the Zsa Zsa robot, when the game glitched and restarted.

I was beyond mad and decided I was done.  I decided to hit up the DVR of the Broncos/Steelers game.  I fell asleep at some point and was awaken by my wife's call, needing picked up because they had "too much fun".

I am going to end it here, because from 1:30 am on it was...

No comments:

Post a Comment